Thursday, March 19, 2015

Stage Fright - Week 5

AAAAHHHHH! I’m presenting on the first day of presentations and I may or may not be slightly (really) terrified. This week’s blog post is all about this, as you might’ve gathered from the title, and about the terrors of filming and editing your own video.


Filming took A LOT longer than expected, especially since we (a friend and I) filmed outside and had to deal with the sun setting at night (Sometimes I forget that when I don’t go outside for a long time. Night and day blur into one giant chunk of time split between homework, robotics, school, and dance.) Besides that, we had to deal with the weather (mostly rain at this time of year, thank god it’s not winter anymore) and the concrete eating up my pointe shoes. Thankfully, I’d decided to perform in an old pair, not the new pair that I bought a couple weeks ago.


So you might be asking yourself (or not), “Nicole, you titled this blog post ‘Stage Fright.’ What does filming have to do with that?” Well, dear reader, I’m getting there. Just hold on for a sec.


Performing, whether it be for a camera or a live audience, scares me the same no matter what type it is. Since I’m the only dancer and this is going on the internet, there will be more people watching me and more opportunity to catch me doing something wrong. I started stressing about every little detail because I’m just a perfectionist like that. But eventually, I got tired, and I just wanted to be done dancing so that I could start editing.


...And that’s when the big problems started. The details aren’t fit for the internet, but long story short I was set back by a couple days in editing--with only 1 day until my presentation. Buuuut thankfully I was able to pull through!

And finally… drumroll please… HERE’S THE FINISHED PRODUCT! :D


Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Pentatonix Dance Cover from Nicole Tan on Vimeo.


~Nicole

P.S. Hope you like the thumbnail ;)

7 comments:

  1. I love this dance! Well, firstly, I have loved this song ever since Pentatonix released their album and I thought the dance accompanied the song really beautifully. Also, the song was longer than I remembered it was, so I'm bowing down to you right now because I would have died if I had to dance that long by myself. Dance is such a beautiful art, and I'm glad your project turned out so well! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is probably longer than you remembered it was because I slowed it down to make it easier to dance to. So you remembered right! It's funny that people are impressed by this because there are people that are like 1000000 times better. The dance didn't actually turn out as great as I wanted to be, but I'm still glad that I got something sort of good out of this :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I know that I'm impressed. Dancing and choreographing isn't something that can be done by just anyone (especially dancing of this caliber, that is), so it's really cool that you've been able to accomplish this much in just the month and a half period. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and excellent TED Talk by the way!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Initially, I was kind of nervous for putting my dancing out for the public to see, so it's so nice to get so much positive feedback! You're TED Talk was really good too!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your video. I can only imagine the damage the concrete must've done to your shoes. Was it harder to dance because of the cold? And did your coat get in the way? You've been dancing for years - is the stage fright now any different than it was when you were little? I'm sure everything's better than you think it is. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia! Take a peek at my vlog to see what happened to my pointe shoes... let's just say I'm really glad I used my old pair instead of the pair that I just bought. I also mentioned this in the vlog, but the reason I had to wear the coat was because of the cold. It didn't get in the way too much, but it did throw my balance off a bit and got in the way a bit when doing the shoulder roll. As for my stage fright, I'm proud to say that I'm much more comfortable on stage now, but I'm still not used to dancing on my own.

      Delete